Saturday, January 28, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I can't wait to take this yummy hummus to church tomorrow and let everyone try it.  I got the recipe from Bon Appetite-Tastes of the World.  This was a little book that came free with my subscription.  I love Bon Appetit magazine.  Some of my favorite stuff comes from them.

For this recipe you want to start with your food processor.  While it is in the "on" position, with the blades shirring, drop 2 cloves of garlic, one at a time, allowing them to dance around in and become minced. 



This is one of the few times I will use the amount of garlic suggested in the recipe.  Usually I am very liberal with my garlic, often adding 3 times what the recipe calls for.  This hummus won't be cooked so the garlic will be raw and very present.  2 cloves should be more than plenty.

Scrape down the inside of the food pro and add 1 can (15 oz.) garbanzo beans (also called "chickpeas") that have been drained and rinsed, 1/3 cup tahini and 1/3 cup lemon juice (which was about 1 1/2 lemons worth).

Tahini is sesame seed paste that you can find at health food stores or a Middle Eastern store.


Blend this all together until smooth.



 Add about 1/2 cup drained jarred roasted red peppers that have been chopped.  blend again until smooth.  Taste and adjust with salt, pepper or lemon juice.

Serve with pita chips.



I will be sharing this at church tomorrow.

http://thehillsidechurch.com/#/about

I like this hummus.  It's bright and delicious and just a little garlic-y.  I like the roasted red pepper that comes through and stays on the palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment