Sunday, January 22, 2012

Let me explain...



Why C.Hopkins CaFe (Mighty Good!)?  This is a blog about a passion for cooking sprinkled with the love for my family and friends, stirred with a true concern about their health.


I am a Registered Nurse who is a self-taught cook (a darn good cook according to my clan), who understands the struggle to lose weight and damitol I just don't want to figure out the Weight Watcher points to the amazing casserole I just made (can't someone just do it for me?).  I realized that there may be many home cooks out there who are like me, that they would love to make home cooked goodness that is fresh, healthy, feeds the soul, and have someone help them with the WW points.


Now to explain the name of this blog:  Years ago when I was struggling my way through pre-rec's for my nursing degree I learned in Microbiology an easy way to remember the "major elements" for all living things:
C HOPKINS CaFe Mg (Mighty Good):

C (Carbon) H (Hydrogen) O (Oxygen) P (Phosphorus) K (Potassium) I (Iodine) N (Nitrogen) S (Sulfur) Ca (Calcium) Fe (Iron) Mg (Magnesium)

I couldn't think of a more fitting name for my blog.  I want to celebrate the gift of food and all that we are blessed with.  All that lives and breathes around us.  All that enhances our lives.  All that sustains us.  All that can heal us.

Currently I am cooking my way through several cook books.  Two of them are Vegan, one is a meat lover's fall-off-the-bone make you make noises cookbook, and a couple great little 30 minute dealios in between.  I am attempting all the recipes in order, staying as true to the author's intention as possible.  I make notations and comments in the margins finally deciding if the recipe is worth duplicating.  Often times I will make little notes on how to improve something or simply to make a big smiley face with many exclamation points showing this recipe was perfection itself.  For all recipes I figure out the WW points, making it easy on the next cook.

If you follow this blog you will find that I am:
  • Honest (I don't care for BS fluff)
  • Direct (you never have to guess how I feel about an issue)
  • One who appreciates the art of coloring outside the lines when appropriate (or even if not appropriate, I have my reasons.  Mom always said "...It's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission".)
Let the culinary exploration begin!!

7 comments:

  1. Thought it was mighty good salt?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Nurse Jane. I needed a little memory job for the mnemonic... you did the trick... mighty good. : - )
    CRN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought it was C. Hopkins Ca Fe (mighty good) with salt (Na)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where's the NaCl?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I’ve been searching for some decent stuff on the subject and haven't had any luck up until this point, You just got a new biggest fan!.. Places to do homework near me

      Delete