Saturday, January 28, 2012

Breakfast Mojito

I love a good Mojito so when I saw this was the next recipe in the Everyday Happy Herbivore (Lindsay S. Nixon-BenBella Books, Inc.) I was eager to try it.  During the Summer months I have plenty of mint in my garden, so anytime I can use the little herb I do.  A little gardening tip:  Never Never NeveRNEVERNEVERNEVER never plant mint in your precious little raised bed garden.  It is a bully and will quickly take over every inch.  and you can't kill it.  No matter how many times you pull it up.  Kinda like the cockroach of the garden you could say.  Anyway, safely planted in a large planter on my deck I can keep it contained.  Unfortunately, January in the Northwest is not the best time to harvest mint.  Mine is a little dormant currently.


That is why God made grocery stores.


For the smoothie you blend together 1/2 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk, cause that's what I had), 1 frozen banana (ripe), 1 cup baby spinach, 1 tsp. vanilla extract and the juice of 1/2 lime.  I recommend zapping your lime about 11 seconds in the microwave prior to cutting it.  It helps to release more juice when squeezed.  Works well for lemons, too.


Blend this until smooth.  Now add a handful of mint leaves and about 3 or 4 ice cubes.

Blend blend blend blend until smooth and creamy.

At this point taste your smoothie.  I found mine...um...healthy.  The recipe says you can at this point add more mint, lime or some agave nectar to taste.  I only added a few drops of the agave nectar and this helped the taste.


When cooking (especially when cooking for other people) it is IMPERATIVE that you do not double dip.  Not only is it disgusting for anyone else eating your meal, if you are a double-dipper, it can also ruin many recipes.  Our saliva contains enzymes that God put there to begin the process of breaking down carbs (essentially kick-starting the whole digestive process).  If you taste your dish and put your spoon back into your recipe, you have now added enzymes to your dish.  If there is enough heat then the enzymes are killed and no harm done (except it is disgusting).  If your dish is not hot enough the enzymes begin munching on the carbs in your dish and 30 minutes later you will wonder why your creation is separating and getting watery.  Don't be that cook.

This was my final product (notice the Oskar Blues glass I used.  I highly recommend this brewery the next time you are in the Denver area.  Their beer rocks.).


The best part about this smoothie is the nutrition that is packed into little or no points (my smoothie came out to 0 points because I used almond milk that only had about 17 calories per half cup).  Some may argue that with the agave drops I should count it 1 point.  Whatever.

It wasn't bad tasting with the agave.  I actually grew to like it by the time I took the last sip.  I will probably make this again when I want something cold and creamy and don't have points left.  Not a favorite, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment