Monday, February 27, 2012

Tofu Scramble

So I woke up this morning with something prodding me to go down stairs.  Now, understand it was 6:30am and this was my only day off to sleep in in days.  I kept thinking "This is dumb.  I should be snoozing away...why do I feel so compelled to go down stairs?"

I left my comfy warm bed and made my way down to the kitchen.  When I turned on the light I realized that this was one of those God things.  My fridge had begun peeing water...everywhere.  We have one of those filtered water dispensers on the front...it was pouring water like someone had a glass held there...only there was no glass...only lots and lots of water.  And the water was coming from somewhere inside the freezer with a cascade of water drenching all my frozen food and creating a huge mess.

I started grabbing towels and yelling for R.J. (my husband).  He came down and quickly pulled out the fridge and shut off the water in the back.

If I hadn't have woken up and come down stairs right away or if this had happened after we had all left for the day....yikes.  I am so glad the Lord protected us and my house as He did.
So I was stuck cleaning out drenched frozen food today.  One of the items I came across was a block of firm tofu.  The following recipe was inspired by this find.



From "The Happy Herbivore" by Lindsay S. Nixon (BenBella Books, Inc. Dallas, TX)
http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Herbivore-Cookbook-Delicious-Fat-Free/dp/1935618121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330403751&sr=8-1
comes this happy little recipe.  If you have never tried tofu or if you are a tofu hater (don't be a hater), this is a great recipe to bring you into the tofu light.  I think the author of this cookbook thought this is a good alternative to scrambled eggs.  Honestly, they don't taste at all like scrambled eggs but are good in their own right.

This recipe lends itself to all kinds of creative choices.  I decided I wanted to give my lunch a "steak and eggs" flair so I threw 1 veggie "burger" into a pan that I had sprayed with Pam.  (And yes, the Morning Star burgers were drenched along with all the other frozen food I was scrambling to find things to do with)


To this I added 1/2 red onion that I had diced and sauteed both together (breaking up the patty) over medium heat until the onion was starting to soften.



Next I added some baby bell peppers (4 or 5) that were diced and finally some spinach leaves.



This I sauteed until the spinach cooked down, about 3-4 more minutes.  Salt and pepper were added to taste.

Next I transferred the veggies to a bowl and set them aside.

In the same skillet I added the block of extra-firm tofu (1 lb) that were drained well.  This was cooked over medium-high heat until the tofu released it's water, 3-4 minutes, breaking up the tofu as I cooked it.


I added 3 Tbs. nutritional yeast (this can be found in any health food store), 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder and 1/2 tsp. ground cumin.  Again, salt and pepper were added to taste.

I continued to cook this adding a drizzle of water here and there when the mixture stuck to the bottom of the pan, for about 8-10 minutes.


Finally I added the veggies back to the pan and sprinkled it all with chopped fresh cilantro.


I served mine with a drizzle of A-1 steak sauce to give it that yummy steak taste.  This was very good.

The points looked like this:

Tofu: 12 pts.
Nutritional yeast: 1 point
Veggie burger: 3 pts.

The recipe stated that this serves 2 but since I put the veggies in it I divided mine into 4 servings giving 4 pts. per serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment