Monday, February 27, 2012

Miso Mac and Cheese

A few weeks ago I found this recipe in The Everett Herald (article by J.M. Hirsch, Associated Press).  It sounded just wacky enough to possibly be good.  I think my kids ended up liking this more than I did.  I think the mac and cheese tasted better the next day when the flavors had a chance to dance and mingle a little.  It definitely was "comfort food".


Prepare 1 lb. elbow macaroni according to the package directions.  Make sure the water you bring to a boil is salted enough.  It should "taste like the sea" as the Frugal Gourmet used to say.  When you drain the pasta MAKE SURE YOU SAVE ABOUT 1/4 CUP OF THE COOKING WATER.  very important.

While the pasta is being prepared add 1Tbs. olive oil to a deep skillet over medium heat.  Add about 7 oz. shiitake mushrooms (2 cups) that have been thinly sliced.  Saute until the mushrooms are well browned about 6 or 7 minutes.


In a small bowl mix together 8oz. creme fraiche and 3 Tbs. white miso



Notice that my creme fraiche is 7.5oz. instead of the 8oz. package it used to be.  You can't tell me the economy is better and we aren't seeing inflation.  But I digress.

Add a spoon full or so of sour cream to make up for the 0.5 oz. creme fraiche you just noticed you are missing.

To this add 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese.

I hardly ever buy pre-shredded cheese.  It is so easy to do in your food pro (and it's cheaper and better for you since you don't have to add preservatives like they do when they shred and package that cheese).  I usually put any extra shredded cheese in quart zippie bags and freeze.  They freeze wonderfully.


Now add 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (I prefer Frank's Red Hot Original) and mix into the creme fraiche/cheese mixture well.  Add this to your mushrooms and drizzle some of the reserved cooking water from the pasta as needed to give the desired consistency.   Take the skillet off the heat.  Adjust seasonings adding salt and pepper to taste.

The recipe ended here but I opted to put the skillet under a broiler just until the top began to brown.  Because that's how I am (and it made it that much better).

Yummy!




The point break-down was as follows:

1 lb. elbow pasta: 43 pts.
1 Tbs. olive oil: 4 pts.
8 oz. creme fraiche: 22 pts.
3 Tbs. white miso: 3 pts.
Parm. cheese: (I actually used 6.5 oz.): 19 pts.
Cheddar cheese: (came out to 4.8 oz.): 14 pts.

You will have to figure how big you want your portions.  I wouldn't recommend eating this daily to be successful on Weight Watchers, but for a treat it really is worth every point.



No comments:

Post a Comment